Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Week 10- Partial Quotient Method

Hello Kitty pumpkin

Check it out! Mrs. Lawrence made me a pumpkin and it is Hello Kitty! I think it is so cute and I have it on display in my classroom.

Angry birds

This week we learned about action verbs and linking verbs. The kids each got a coloring page of an Angry Bird and then wrote a paragraph about it. After writing they had to reread their paragraph and highlight action and linking verbs. I think they were excited about this activity.

Teaching verbs

Playing games

We have also been learning about long division. This week we played Multiply, Divide, and Conquer. The kids divided into two teams. Here is a picture of the winning team this round.

The winning team

We also learned how to divide using the partial quotient method. Do you know this method? If not check out this video I made to explain it.



We wrapped up the week with an activity to explore mechanical weathering.

Weathering

The kids used fine and coarse sand paper to weather their rocks (sugar cubes). Then they recorded their observations in the flipbook we made.

Weathering 3

STUDENTS: What did you think about the partial quotient method for long division? At first several of you didn't like it at all. Now that you've had a little while to practice that method I'd love to hear what you think!

14 comments:

  1. I think is cool when you are confused on how to do it the other way it is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first i didnt get it but now i like it.it looks like its long but it is really not

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your partial quotient video! I'm teaching that this coming week! Good review for me! Is there a way I can post that video for my students?

    Also, the game Multiply, Divide, and Conquer... did you download or did it come with your curriculum?

    THANKS!! Miss Crocker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. White, I SO look forward to each Saturday and reading what has been happening in your class! Thank you so much for all you do and share. :) Your video on partial products is wonderfully done. I hate to admit, but I have never seen this done before as a way to teach long division. It works really slick, but I am wondering the rationale behind using it, as opposed to the more traditional way? I would love to understand more about it. I know how extremely busy you are and will understand if you do not have time to answer my question. Again, thank you very much for all you share...I have grown as a teacher because of you..thank you. :)
    Jody
    PS Once last question...was wondering what program you use to make your videos. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The partial quotient is sooo confusing to me but the way Mrs.White does it is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when you have trouble with the other way this way it helps a lot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is good to use for some problems with 2 digit divisors but other than that no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Partial Quotient is a method that students who stuggle with multiplication facts can use and be successful with long division. I like to show them different ways to divide because I stuggled with it so much when I was in 5th grade. Tomorrow I'm planning to teach them the house method so I'll try to make a video and post it here too.

    Here is the link for the Partial Quotient Method video I made.

    http://www.showme.com/sh/?h=JRiyYmO

    I used the ShowMe app on my iPad to make the video. I love it because it is easy to use! I have used it to make review videos for the kids so they can practice what we have learned for the week and hear my voice explaining it. I know there are a lot of videos out there but I like using the ones I make.

    The Multiply, Divide, and Conquer game is from Lakeshore. I had a project funded through Donor's Choose last year and I got several of their math games. The kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,
    I love your video on partial quotient. I have parents who are struggling with how to help their children with the new math common core because they only know one way to do the math. When it comes to a different way they are lost & want me to teach them too so they can help their children. These videos are perfect!You are a lifesaver!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matthew said, I think the partial quotient method is way easier than the long division method we used first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that it is awesome because if you don't know your facts this a great way to do divion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At first I confused.Mrs.White help me to divde longer.But it was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know....you've been Boo-......so stop by my blog and link up and join the party!!

    Vicky
    Keep Calm & Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  14. partial cotionts are confusing i im ok at partial cotionts though its a little hard Dalton said...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.