Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

More iPad Apps

I thought I'd share a few more apps that I've used with my students (or that I discovered this summer). The first one is Measure Map ($1.99). You can go anywhere in the world and measure anything. The first picture you can see the US Space & Rocket Center. I measured the space shuttle and the area and perimeter shows in the top left corner.

Measure Map

Then I found my school and measured an area of the playground. This would be great for kids to use to measure things they are familiar with.

Measure map 2

Lobster diver

Lobster Diver (free) is an app to review numbers, fractions, and decimals. The kids love it! You have to dive down at the given number without getting hit by the eel. There is also a section where you have to cut an eel into pieces using the fraction given.

Lobster diver 2

Symmetry Shuffle is great to help students review translations, reflections, and rotations. As you can see, the app uses both terms (slide/translation) so it works with multiples grades. When you start all the cups are sepia and you have to move the boxed cup around and place it on top of the cup the correct way to make it change to a colored cup.

Symmetry shuffle

The last one is called Factor Samurai and it reminds me a lot of fruit ninja. Different numbers fly up and if they are prime you don't cut it. But if it is composite you slice it into factors.

Factor Samurai

I'm excited that I'm going to be able to get into my classroom to start working next week. So I'm sure I'll have some pictures to share next week.

Don't forget to check out my Teaching Resources page! I'm still working on it and if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I love factor samurai! I think I am actually more addicted to it than my students lol! Thanks for the other suggestions - I can't wait to try measure map :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good material on here. I cannot wait to start teaching this fall! We will have SmartBoards to use, so I'm excited about that. Now only if I had an iPad...lol! Thanks for blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a little something for you over at my blog :) Come see! 5thgradetomfoolery.blogspot.com Teri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.